Monday, January 23, 2012

Technology is leading to the extinction of books, AND changing the ways we learn how to read?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/23/nyregion/sharing-a-computer-screen-if-not-a-classroom.html?_r=1&ref=technology

I caught this article in the NY Times today, and I was taken aback by this new way that children are being tutored. The little boy, Edward, sits in class and is tutored over the phone with a software sharing program because the school that he attends is in a dangerous area of the Bronx, where it is difficult to get tutors to commit to coming to the school. I personally learned how to read in a group, with a teacher, and funny stories about Nan and Sam and Jan- which was appealing and may have added to my interest in learning. If additional help was needed, than someone sat next to you and pointed their figure at the word, encouraging to sound it out.
Also, I'm not sure about introducing this extreme of technology to children at such an early age. I imagine that it inhibits socialization and the building of social skills by the child.

Then again, I brought this up to my sister, a teacher, and she declared that children were "lucky" to have such technology and that in other countries, some kids weren't even fortunate enough to obtain the bare minimum of literacy education.

I'm still not sure where I stand on this.. opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment